Porto - a place to stay

Bitte hier klicken für die deutsche Version.

If you ever think about walking the portuguese part of the Way of Saint James, you should a least stay a day in Porto.

The city is stunning! I could go up and down the streets with their beautiful old buildings covered in tiles for hours. There are loads of old churches here and other cultural sites as well.

The food is amazing, too. You can try Francesca, which apparently means little french girl and which is a typical sandwich from Porto with ham and steak, covered in cheese and egg and served with a spicy sauce made out of tomatoes and beer. Or you can try one of the famous pastel de natal that are sold almost on every street and do not cost more than 1 euro most of the time.

And being in Porto one also has to try the famous Port wine, which is only produced around the river Douro. I usually do not drink a lot of red wine, but compared to other red wines, Port wine is a lot sweeter and not as bitter, because the fermentation process is stopped earlier. There are serial wineries located in Porto and a visit to one of those is definitely worth it. Some cellars even have wine that is more than 150 years old.

I also saw the first couple of pilgrims. They are easily recognizable by the big white shell that they tie to their backpacks. I do not have a shell like that yet, but I am thinking about getting one when I walk along the coast. I cannot wait to start my journey. I searched for the starting point of the Camino Portuguese and already saw the first of hopefully many easily recognizable yellow arrows pointing my way to Santiago de Compostela. The adventure will start soon!



Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Das Ende

Halbzeit

Die letzten Tage